From: Stephanie on

"Ericka Kammerer" <eek(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
news:rvKdnUzWLa7HqPDbnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
> don_tspamme wrote:
>> Hi, I read the babywise book but I'm not completely sure about the nap
>> schedule thing... I think I read that the baby needs 3 naps during the
>> day, each 1 1/2 hours long, and to be fed every 3 hours, but I'm not
>> sure how it works in the afternoon... my DD wakes at 7am and goes to
>> bed at 7pm... so can anyone give me an idea of what her schedule would
>> look like? I'm a little confused...TIA
>
> Throw away the book--that book in particular. The amount
> of bad advice in that book is staggering, and the few nuggets that
> might work for some aren't worth it (and can be found in plenty of
> other better books).
>
> That said, at 3 months, 2-3 naps is not uncommon. Feedings
> may be around every 3 hours, but might also be closer or further
> apart. There's often a growth spurt around this time as well,
> which can completely muck with any schedule for a while. There's
> also a pretty wide variation in how long babies will sleep.
> Speaking in very broad generalities that won't work for
> every baby, there's usually a fairly early morning nap (with a
> 7am wakeup, probably by 9am-ish), then a nap in the early afternoon
> (maybe 1pm-ish), and then a later afternoon nap (maybe 5pm-ish).
> But, that's often combined with a bedtime that's a little later
> than 7pm. At that age, mine were going to bed more around 9pm
> when they had three naps. So, you might find that it's not
> easy to get the third nap in and still have her ready to go
> to sleep at 7pm. Or maybe she thrives on a lot of sleep and
> she'll be fine with three naps and an early bedtime.
> The tricky bit with young babies is that almost as soon
> as you get into a groove, they move on to something new. Also,
> when they go through the process of moving from three naps to
> two naps (or two naps to one nap), there's usually a significant
> period of time when everything is awkward. Taking the nap is
> too much, but not having the nap is not enough sleep, and you
> go through cranky periods. This is also normal and you just do
> your best until things settle out.
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka


Ericka's post is excellent and right on the mark IMO. But as a new parent
what I needed to hear was, no there is nothing you can really do about it
except watch you baby. And no you are not doing wrong or badly. You are
doing fine.


From: Ericka Kammerer on
Stephanie wrote:

> Ericka's post is excellent and right on the mark IMO. But as a new parent
> what I needed to hear was, no there is nothing you can really do about it
> except watch you baby. And no you are not doing wrong or badly. You are
> doing fine.

Well, and for the most part, if you tune in to your
baby, it generally comes out right in the end. We all pretty much
just keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to
keep leaning in the direction we eventually want to go (despite
the inevitable detours). And most of what seems to muck us up
is second guessing, guilt, and that sort of thing, rather than
ignorance of where we want to go or how to get there! ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka
From: Stephanie on

"Ericka Kammerer" <eek(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
news:kPmdnWbzHeUOVvDbnZ2dnUVZ_qGjnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
> Stephanie wrote:
>
>> Ericka's post is excellent and right on the mark IMO. But as a new parent
>> what I needed to hear was, no there is nothing you can really do about it
>> except watch you baby. And no you are not doing wrong or badly. You are
>> doing fine.
>
> Well, and for the most part, if you tune in to your
> baby, it generally comes out right in the end. We all pretty much
> just keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to
> keep leaning in the direction we eventually want to go (despite
> the inevitable detours). And most of what seems to muck us up
> is second guessing, guilt, and that sort of thing, rather than
> ignorance of where we want to go or how to get there! ;-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Ericka


Precisely. And in my case the certainty that despite everything I was
hearing to the contrary, I was never going to get to sleep again. I like
sleep.


From: Ericka Kammerer on
Stephanie wrote:
> "Ericka Kammerer" <eek(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:kPmdnWbzHeUOVvDbnZ2dnUVZ_qGjnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
>> Stephanie wrote:
>>
>>> Ericka's post is excellent and right on the mark IMO. But as a new parent
>>> what I needed to hear was, no there is nothing you can really do about it
>>> except watch you baby. And no you are not doing wrong or badly. You are
>>> doing fine.
>> Well, and for the most part, if you tune in to your
>> baby, it generally comes out right in the end. We all pretty much
>> just keep putting one foot in front of the other and try to
>> keep leaning in the direction we eventually want to go (despite
>> the inevitable detours). And most of what seems to muck us up
>> is second guessing, guilt, and that sort of thing, rather than
>> ignorance of where we want to go or how to get there! ;-)
>
> Precisely. And in my case the certainty that despite everything I was
> hearing to the contrary, I was never going to get to sleep again. I like
> sleep.

Even tiny problems seem insurmountable when you're
sleep-deprived!

Best wishes,
Ericka
From: Irrational Number on
don_tspamme wrote:

> Hi, I read the babywise book but I'm not completely sure about the nap
> schedule thing...

That is a bad book.

Follow baby's cues to feed (bringing fist to mouth,
turning head side to side) and follow baby's cues
to sleep (rubbing eyes, yawning, or just falling
asleep!).

-- Anita --