From: dr_jeff on
David wrote:
> Edward A. Falk wrote:
>> Remember, "alternative medicine" is medicine that has either
>> not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work.
>>
>> "Alternative medicine" that has been proven to work is known
>> by another name: "medicine".
>>
>
> Another confused one.

Actually, Edward is correct. Conventional medicine is medicine that is
science-based and proven to work or has good evidence (e.g., clinical
trials; basic science) to back it.

It was named "alternative medicine" to make it sound legitimate. It is
really conjecture-based medicine or con-med. It has no good evidence to
back it up. For example, homeopathy is based on the principal that like
cures like and the less of a cure that you get (the more dilute it is),
the stronger it is. These contentions have virtually no basis in proven
science and don't make any sense based on all of the science we know.

You can learn more about conjecture-based medicine at www.quackwatch.com.

I also recommend the book by Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Road from
Foolishness to Fraud. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 230. ISBN
0-19-514710-3.

Jeff
From: David on
dr_jeff wrote:
> David wrote:
>> Edward A. Falk wrote:
>>> Remember, "alternative medicine" is medicine that has either
>>> not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work.
>>>
>>> "Alternative medicine" that has been proven to work is known
>>> by another name: "medicine".
>>>
>>
>> Another confused one.
>
> Actually, Edward is correct. Conventional medicine is medicine that is
> science-based and proven to work or has good evidence (e.g., clinical
> trials; basic science) to back it.
>
> It was named "alternative medicine" to make it sound legitimate. It is
> really conjecture-based medicine or con-med. It has no good evidence to
> back it up. For example, homeopathy is based on the principal that like
> cures like and the less of a cure that you get (the more dilute it is),
> the stronger it is. These contentions have virtually no basis in proven
> science and don't make any sense based on all of the science we know.
>
> You can learn more about conjecture-based medicine at www.quackwatch.com.
>
> I also recommend the book by Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Road from
> Foolishness to Fraud. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 230. ISBN
> 0-19-514710-3.
>
> Jeff

Actually, You may keep your pills and other secret formulas. Why do you
want to force other people to believe what you do? If the alternative
people do not try to force you to see a chiropractor, why are you
compelled to work so hard to convince them not to? Stay the hell out of
other peoples body's.
From: Mark Probert-Drew on
On Jun 17, 8:40 am, David <m...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> dr_jeff wrote:
> > David wrote:
> >> Edward A. Falk wrote:
> >>> Remember, "alternative medicine" is medicine that has either
> >>> not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work.
>
> >>> "Alternative medicine" that has been proven to work is known
> >>> by another name: "medicine".
>
> >>  Another confused one.
>
> > Actually, Edward is correct. Conventional medicine is medicine that is
> > science-based and proven to work or has good evidence (e.g., clinical
> > trials; basic science) to back it.
>
> > It was named "alternative medicine" to make it sound legitimate. It is
> > really conjecture-based medicine or con-med. It has no good evidence to
> > back it up. For example, homeopathy is based on the principal that like
> > cures like and the less of a cure that you get (the more dilute it is),
> > the stronger it is. These contentions have virtually no basis in proven
> > science and don't make any sense based on all of the science we know.
>
> > You can learn more about conjecture-based medicine atwww.quackwatch.com..
>
> > I also recommend the book by Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Road from
> > Foolishness to Fraud. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 230. ISBN
> > 0-19-514710-3.
>
> > Jeff
>
> Actually, You may keep your pills and other secret formulas. Why do you
> want to force other people to believe what you do? If the alternative
> people do not try to force you to see a chiropractor, why are you
> compelled to work so hard to convince them not to? Stay the hell out of
> other peoples body's.-

David hires a strawman for assistance.


From: dr_jeff on
David wrote:
> dr_jeff wrote:
>> David wrote:
>>> Edward A. Falk wrote:
>>>> Remember, "alternative medicine" is medicine that has either
>>>> not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work.
>>>>
>>>> "Alternative medicine" that has been proven to work is known
>>>> by another name: "medicine".
>>>>
>>>
>>> Another confused one.
>>
>> Actually, Edward is correct. Conventional medicine is medicine that is
>> science-based and proven to work or has good evidence (e.g., clinical
>> trials; basic science) to back it.
>>
>> It was named "alternative medicine" to make it sound legitimate. It is
>> really conjecture-based medicine or con-med. It has no good evidence
>> to back it up. For example, homeopathy is based on the principal that
>> like cures like and the less of a cure that you get (the more dilute
>> it is), the stronger it is. These contentions have virtually no basis
>> in proven science and don't make any sense based on all of the science
>> we know.
>>
>> You can learn more about conjecture-based medicine at www.quackwatch.com.
>>
>> I also recommend the book by Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Road
>> from Foolishness to Fraud. New York: Oxford University Press. pp. 230.
>> ISBN 0-19-514710-3.
>>
>> Jeff
>
> Actually, You may keep your pills and other secret formulas.

No one is forcing you to take anything.

Do you really think you know what is in alternative medicines?

> Why do you
> want to force other people to believe what you do?

People are free to choose to take stupid, unproven treatments if they
want to.

> If the alternative
> people do not try to force you to see a chiropractor, why are you
> compelled to work so hard to convince them not to?

I am trying to explain to them science and science-based medicine,
rather than conjecture-based medicine (con-med). Con-med is based on
totally unproven and unscientific thoughts. If someone wants to go ahead
with totally unproven and unscientific treatments and waste their money,
that's their business. However, I will still have the freedom of speech
to talk about con-med if I want. In addition, I encourage insurance
companies and the general public (i.e., the gov't) not to pay for
con-med as well.

> Stay the hell out of
> other peoples body's.

I have the freedom of speech. If you don't like it, tough.

You might want to learn punctuation.
From: David on
dr_jeff wrote:
> David wrote:
>> dr_jeff wrote:
>>> David wrote:
>>>> Edward A. Falk wrote:
>>>>> Remember, "alternative medicine" is medicine that has either
>>>>> not been proven to work, or has been proven not to work.
>>>>>
>>>>> "Alternative medicine" that has been proven to work is known
>>>>> by another name: "medicine".
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Another confused one.
>>>
>>> Actually, Edward is correct. Conventional medicine is medicine that
>>> is science-based and proven to work or has good evidence (e.g.,
>>> clinical trials; basic science) to back it.
>>>
>>> It was named "alternative medicine" to make it sound legitimate. It
>>> is really conjecture-based medicine or con-med. It has no good
>>> evidence to back it up. For example, homeopathy is based on the
>>> principal that like cures like and the less of a cure that you get
>>> (the more dilute it is), the stronger it is. These contentions have
>>> virtually no basis in proven science and don't make any sense based
>>> on all of the science we know.
>>>
>>> You can learn more about conjecture-based medicine at
>>> www.quackwatch.com.
>>>
>>> I also recommend the book by Robert Park, Voodoo Science: The Road
>>> from Foolishness to Fraud. New York: Oxford University Press. pp.
>>> 230. ISBN 0-19-514710-3.
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Actually, You may keep your pills and other secret formulas.
>
> No one is forcing you to take anything.
>
> Do you really think you know what is in alternative medicines?
>
>> Why do you want to force other people to believe what you do?
>
> People are free to choose to take stupid, unproven treatments if they
> want to.
>
>> If the alternative people do not try to force you to see a
>> chiropractor, why are you compelled to work so hard to convince them
>> not to?
>
> I am trying to explain to them science and science-based medicine,
> rather than conjecture-based medicine (con-med). Con-med is based on
> totally unproven and unscientific thoughts. If someone wants to go ahead
> with totally unproven and unscientific treatments and waste their money,
> that's their business. However, I will still have the freedom of speech
> to talk about con-med if I want. In addition, I encourage insurance
> companies and the general public (i.e., the gov't) not to pay for
> con-med as well.
>
>> Stay the hell out of other peoples body's.
>
> I have the freedom of speech. If you don't like it, tough.
>
> You might want to learn punctuation.

Why, you understood very well.