From: Jan Drew on

"Jan Drew" <jdrew1374(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:pPIIh.5607$iw4.5445(a)newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>
> http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/
>
> THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN
>
>
> March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
> Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
> prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
> Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is
> working closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
> guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about the
> potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious
> heart ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing sudden
> death in reports reviewed by the agency.
>
> The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug related
> psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable
> suspicion, and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients without
> previous psychiatric problems.
>
> Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling volumes,
> and Director of the National Association of Certified Christ-based
> Counselors explains that these are not new revelations. "Actually, it is
> about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness about drugs used
> for ADD and ADHD."
>
> Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
> since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
> persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
> risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
> particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors Peter
> R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your Problem.
> How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.
>
> While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
> DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
> the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
> followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
> but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
> of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
> diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
> over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
> incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
> in the nation."
>
> DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged to
> induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
> medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When
> asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple
> observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?'
> If the child can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring,
> the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention
> functioning deficit." DavidSon is adamant that people need to ponder
> these observations with their physicians before determining to use drug
> therapy. He adds, "Several years ago, I allowed my child to record
> satisfactory grade performance as opposed to inducing drugs as recommended
> by an educational psychologist. Thank God! Notwithstanding the
> short-term successes of these drugs, one in one-thousand does not sound
> like high-risk for an adverse drug reaction until your child is the one.
> Moreover, when the adverse reaction is related to brain functioning, or
> gives a child the impression that drugs should be administered for the
> slightest mental slippage, I decided my child would catch-up with the
> head-of-the-class later. It is a dilemma indeed trying to convince young
> people not to use recreational drugs to improve their social acceptance
> and fun when their parents encouraged drug-use for their educational
> acceptance. As Jesus would say, 'those who have an ear, let them hear.'"
>
> [to which I say AMEN!].
>
>
>
>
>


From: Jan Drew on

"Mark Probert" <markprobert(a)lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
news:81eJh.4039$0W5.287(a)trndny05...
> wrote:

Poor Mark.


"Jan Drew" <jdrew1374(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:pPIIh.5607$iw4.5445(a)newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>
> http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/
>
> THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN
>
>
> March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
> Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
> prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
> Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is
> working closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
> guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about the
> potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious
> heart ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing sudden
> death in reports reviewed by the agency.
>
> The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug related
> psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable
> suspicion, and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients without
> previous psychiatric problems.
>
> Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling volumes,
> and Director of the National Association of Certified Christ-based
> Counselors explains that these are not new revelations. "Actually, it is
> about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness about drugs used
> for ADD and ADHD."
>
> Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
> since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
> persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
> risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
> particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors Peter
> R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your Problem.
> How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.
>
> While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
> DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
> the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
> followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
> but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
> of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
> diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
> over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
> incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
> in the nation."
>
> DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged to
> induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
> medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When
> asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple
> observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?'
> If the child can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring,
> the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention
> functioning deficit." DavidSon is adamant that people need to ponder
> these observations with their physicians before determining to use drug
> therapy. He adds, "Several years ago, I allowed my child to record
> satisfactory grade performance as opposed to inducing drugs as recommended
> by an educational psychologist. Thank God! Notwithstanding the
> short-term successes of these drugs, one in one-thousand does not sound
> like high-risk for an adverse drug reaction until your child is the one.
> Moreover, when the adverse reaction is related to brain functioning, or
> gives a child the impression that drugs should be administered for the
> slightest mental slippage, I decided my child would catch-up with the
> head-of-the-class later. It is a dilemma indeed trying to convince young
> people not to use recreational drugs to improve their social acceptance
> and fun when their parents encouraged drug-use for their educational
> acceptance. As Jesus would say, 'those who have an ear, let them hear.'"
>
> [to which I say AMEN!].
>> http://www.mmdnewswire.com/content/view/1383/5/
>
> Press release
>
>> THE ATTENTION DEFICIT DILEMMA AND OUR CHILDREN
>>
>>
>> March 7, 2007 Flower Mound, Texas. Recently, the Food and Drug
>> Administration (FDA) announced additional precautions concerning drugs
>> prescribed for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit
>> Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Apparently, the government agency is
>> working closely with drug manufacturers to develop new patient medication
>> guidelines, and the FDA is calling for enhanced product labeling about
>> the potential adverse affects. Among problems cited, adults with serious
>> heart ailments, and those with other risk factors were experiencing
>> sudden death in reports reviewed by the agency.
>>
>> The FDA also cited a slightly increased risk (1 of 1000) for drug related
>> psychiatric adverse events such as hearing voices, unexplainable
>> suspicion, and becoming manic. This was also evident in patients without
>> previous psychiatric problems.
>>
>> Dr. Steven B. DavidSon, the author of the Christ-based Counseling
>> volumes, and Director of the National Association of Certified
>> Christ-based Counselors explains that these are not new revelations.
>> "Actually, it is about time the Federal Government elevated the awareness
>> about drugs used for ADD and ADHD."
>>
>> Given our Christ-based perspective, attention deficit has been with us
>> since the first human beings where distracted. No doubt, there are
>> persons who suffer severely, but parties need to seriously assess the
>> risk-reward factor when considering the use of psychiatric drugs,
>> particularly with children." DavidSon alludes to the work by authors
>> Peter R Breggin and David Cohen in their book, Your Drug Could Be Your
>> Problem. How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications.
>>
>> While the research concerning ADD and ADHD has been around for decades,
>> DavidSon said he observed increased diagnoses in the mid-1980s and into
>> the 1990s. "Initially, young boys were primarily the ones diagnosed
>> followed by girls and then adults. I cannot speak for other practices,
>> but I noted the growth was consistent with the expansion and development
>> of video games. Additionally, you must consider the contributions of poor
>> diet and faulty-discipline to ADHD. Diet and discipline have declined
>> over time. It is a matter of record that our children have higher
>> incidents of obesity, and don't mention the condition of child-discipline
>> in the nation."
>>
>> DavidSon also briefly addressed conditions where parents are encouraged
>> to induce drugs where children are inattentive. Some parents lean toward
>> medicinal therapy with the hope of improving grade performance. "When
>> asked by parents about my Christ-based perspective, I suggest a simple
>> observation such as 'how long can your child play a favorite video game?'
>> If the child can play for extended periods of time and maintain scoring,
>> the problem may be an educational-delivery deficit, and not an attention
>> functioning deficit." DavidSon is adamant that people need to ponder
>> these observations with their physicians before determining to use drug
>> therapy. He adds, "Several years ago, I allowed my child to record
>> satisfactory grade performance as opposed to inducing drugs as
>> recommended by an educational psychologist. Thank God! Notwithstanding
>> the short-term successes of these drugs, one in one-thousand does not
>> sound like high-risk for an adverse drug reaction until your child is the
>> one. Moreover, when the adverse reaction is related to brain
>> functioning, or gives a child the impression that drugs should be
>> administered for the slightest mental slippage, I decided my child would
>> catch-up with the head-of-the-class later. It is a dilemma indeed trying
>> to convince young people not to use recreational drugs to improve their
>> social acceptance and fun when their parents encouraged drug-use for
>> their educational acceptance. As Jesus would say, 'those who have an ear,
>> let them hear.'"
>>
>> [to which I say AMEN!].
>
> [ ]


From: Jan Drew on

"Mark Probert" <markprobert(a)lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
news:XxeJh.7517$t8.2836(a)trndny02...
> Jeff wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Probert" <markprobert(a)lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
>> news:81eJh.4039$0W5.287(a)trndny05...
>> <...>
>>
>> What makes one group who calls themselves "Christian" more "Christian"
>> than another group?
>
> Caring

For all, even the homeless?

Enough to share??


From: Peter Bowditch on
"Jan Drew" <jdrew1374(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>"Mark Probert" <markprobert(a)lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
>news:9xeJh.7498$t8.2713(a)trndny02...
>> Jeff wrote:
>>>
>>> "John Palmer" <jpalmer1(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>> news:jopav29psjmsekcqnku2b3b9af14pblvmf(a)4ax.com...
>>>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:33:40 GMT, "Jeff" <news(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books.
>>>>>>> He
>>>>>>> clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ROTFLOL.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> He tells it like it is.
>>>>>
>>>>> He tells it like he sees it. And what he sees is the royalties he gets
>>>>> when
>>>>> his books sell.
>>>>
>>>> He does neither. He's a liar.
>>>
>>> I am not a mind reader. I doubt you are. While I believe his conclusions
>>> are incorrect, I have no reason to believe that he is lying.
>>
>> However, if you read this, written by Breggin's fellow-thinker, you might
>> see why people call him a liar:
>>
>In the Matter of Mark Probert (Admitted as Mark S. Probert), a
>Suspended Attorney, Respondent.

What has this to do with the lies told by Peter Breggin, Jan?

<snip unsubstantiated defamation>
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraud http://www.acahf.org.au
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
From: Peter Bowditch on
"Jan Drew" <jdrew1374(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>
>"John Palmer" <jpalmer1(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>news:jopav29psjmsekcqnku2b3b9af14pblvmf(a)4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:33:40 GMT, "Jeff" <news(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>>>
>>>>> That's true of any drugs. I have read one of Peter Breggin's books. He
>>>>> clearly doesn't, IMHO, understand ADHD.
>>>>
>>>> ROTFLOL.
>>>>
>>>> He tells it like it is.
>>>
>>>He tells it like he sees it. And what he sees is the royalties he gets
>>>when
>>>his books sell.
>>
>> He does neither. He's a liar.
>>
>> I still remember his book on ECT. He took the number of reported uses
>> of ECT in one area, and assumed *everywhere* in the US was *exactly*
>> like that areas. He then decided that it would be underreported, and
>> arbitrarily extended the number of uses to a given number that he
>> thought was appropriately impressive.
>>
>> Now, it's possible that he's simply incompetent, unable to understand
>> proper methods of using statistics. However, he portrays himself as an
>> expert, while making such pitiful mistakes. You can't think of
>> yourself as an expert while making such mistakes; word gets back to
>> you, and if you're in any way honest, you'll check your work.
>>
>> So, Breggin *is* a liar, even if he's merely pretending to be
>> something he isn't.
>
>That's funny you were silent when both Joe and Mark were lying.

Two questions, Jan:

Were Joe and Mark lying?

Were they being paid $45,000 to lie like Breggin was?

<snip repetition>
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraud http://www.acahf.org.au
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com