From: Peter Bowditch on
Jan <jdrew63929(a)aol.com> wrote:

>On May 22, 9:52�pm, Mark Probert-Drew <mark.prob...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 22, 8:59�pm, Jan Drew <jdrew63...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >http://discovermagazine.com/2005/mar/our-preferred-poison
>>
>> > Let�s start with a straightforward fact:
>>
>> > Mercury is unimaginably toxic and dangerous.
>>
>> I can imagine it.
>>
>> > A single drop on a human hand can be irreversibly fatal.
>>
>> Hogwash. As a kid, I used to get some from my dentist and play with
>> it.
>
>***In August 1996 Karen Wetterhahn, a chemistry professor at
>Dartmouth
>College in Hanover, New Hampshire, spilled a few drops of a
>laboratory
>compound called dimethyl mercury onto one of her hands. She was
>wearing latex lab gloves, so she didn�t think much of it. A colleague
>saw her at a conference the following November. �She said she thought
>she was coming down with the flu,� says toxicologist Vas Aposhian of
>the University of Arizona. By the time Wetterhahn was diagnosed with
>mercury poisoning, in January, it was too late. Despite subsequent
>treatment that helped clear the metal from her body, she lapsed into
>a
>vegetative state in February and died the following June. ***

Dimethyl mercury is not mercury, Jan.

--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraud http://www.acahf.org.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
I'm @RatbagsDotCom on Twitter
From: Mark Probert on
On May 24, 1:06 am, Jan <jdrew63...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 9:52 pm, Mark Probert-Drew <mark.prob...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 22, 8:59 pm, Jan Drew <jdrew63...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
> > >http://discovermagazine.com/2005/mar/our-preferred-poison
>
> > > Let’s start with a straightforward fact:
>
> > > Mercury is unimaginably toxic and dangerous.
>
> > I can imagine it.
>
> > > A single drop on a human hand can be irreversibly fatal.
>
> > Hogwash. As a kid, I used to get some from my dentist and play with
> > it.
>
> ***In August 1996 Karen Wetterhahn,  a chemistry professor at
> Dartmouth
> College in Hanover, New Hampshire, spilled a few drops of a
> laboratory
> compound called dimethyl mercury onto one of her hands. She was
> wearing latex lab gloves, so she didn’t think much of it. A colleague
> saw her at a conference the following November. “She said she thought
> she was coming down with the flu,” says toxicologist Vas Aposhian of
> the University of Arizona. By the time Wetterhahn was diagnosed with
> mercury poisoning, in January, it was too late. Despite subsequent
> treatment that helped clear the metal from her body, she lapsed into
> a
> vegetative state in February and died the following June. ***

You moved th goal posts, you idiot. The article was clearly referring
to elemental mercury, not dimethyl mercury.

However, this now proves that you realize that the toxicity of mercury
depends on the form.