From: Sarah Vaughan on
I posted a brief birth story here right after getting home, but I
finished writing the full one for my blog a couple of weeks back & just
remembered that I meant to post the link here for anyone who's
interested. It's at
<http://goodenoughmummy.typepad.com/good_enough_mum/2007/12/birth-story.html>.


All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

From: lu-lu on

"Sarah Vaughan" <nannyogg(a)samael.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:fmopfq$m19$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk...
> I posted a brief birth story here right after getting home, but I
> finished writing the full one for my blog a couple of weeks back & just
> remembered that I meant to post the link here for anyone who's
> interested. It's at
>
<http://goodenoughmummy.typepad.com/good_enough_mum/2007/12/birth-story.html
>.
>
>
> All the best,
>
> Sarah
> --
> http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com
>
> "That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Aw, congratulations! That's a fantastic birthstory. It made me think too -
When I had Jessica, I was really eager to get home asap. I had her at 10.46
am and was home by teatime - I thought I'd want to aim for that if I have
#2, but I've always felt sad that #2 would never get alone time with just
me. I thought you staying in with her was beautiful.

Hope you're all doing well

Lucy x


From: Anne Rogers on
good read! I really like seeing how your mind works, I know you don't
represent all doctors, but it does help get a perspective on what they
are trained in and what they see.

I was interested in what you said about birth plans, though I was on the
delivery unit longer before the birth of my 2nd than you were, it was
pretty dramatic and fast paced when I arrived, as well as being in
transition, some of both mine and babies obs weren't great, but despite
all that someone had managed to open the notes to the birth plan, which
was just various boxes being ticked on the page in the hand held notes
and have a discussion about it, though I wonder if they did that after
the debate about ARM had been had and they figured I was not going to do
what their policies said.

I'm not clear on whether the format of hand held notes is the same
across the NHS, but I'm sure it must have helped that it was known
exactly where to look, because other things about the birth plan that
had been changed on medical advice after I'd become an in patient and no
longer had the hand held notes in my possession didn't happen so easily
or smoothly and only happened as urgent treatment rather than as a
preventative measure, even though my husband was telling them what had
been planned.

A while back I saw an article from an older, respected midwife about
long, natural 3rd stages, she strongly felt that midwives have lost the
skill of spotting signs that indicate fairly early on that the placenta
is ready to be expelled and that by not being aware and ready for that,
some mothers are having long 3rd stages that may become troublesome and
fear of this is making others choose syntometrine. I think the time she
thought was usually for the signs was 10minutes, which is very short
compared to what younger midwives are saying they normally observe in
natural 3rd stages. Unfortunately I can't locate the article, but I've
asked on the list it was posted on to see if anyone else can remember
enough specifics for a successful search, I thought you'd probably be
interested to see it.

I also wanted to add that if you are someone who has a bad reaction to
syntometrine it's not necessarily over and done with in a short time, I
had a pretty bad reaction and the result was that I was well enough to
be transferred to the ward later than a women who'd had a c-section
about half an hour earlier. My health visitor seemed to think that my
reaction wasn't particularly uncommon.

Cheers
Anne
From: Welches on

"Anne Rogers" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
news:BfednXtmxaIotwzanZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d(a)comcast.com...
> good read! I really like seeing how your mind works, I know you don't
> represent all doctors, but it does help get a perspective on what they are
> trained in and what they see.
>
> I was interested in what you said about birth plans, though I was on the
> delivery unit longer before the birth of my 2nd than you were, it was
> pretty dramatic and fast paced when I arrived, as well as being in
> transition, some of both mine and babies obs weren't great, but despite
> all that someone had managed to open the notes to the birth plan, which
> was just various boxes being ticked on the page in the hand held notes and
> have a discussion about it, though I wonder if they did that after the
> debate about ARM had been had and they figured I was not going to do what
> their policies said.
>
> I'm not clear on whether the format of hand held notes is the same across
> the NHS,
It's not the same across the health boards. When I moved (at 37 weeks) with
#1 it caused some confusion at my new place as they didn't know where to
find some of the info, although it was all there.
Debbie


From: Anne Rogers on

> It's not the same across the health boards. When I moved (at 37 weeks) with
> #1 it caused some confusion at my new place as they didn't know where to
> find some of the info, although it was all there.

I thought it wasn't, seems like everyone has hand held notes and I
looked all over mine for identification which might tie it to hospital,
trust or national and couldn't find anything, but figured the lack of an
NHS logo meant it wasn't national. Seems like the birth plan page is
working quite well at that location and that they probably need to
consider either an additional page for doctors updates, or at least make
sure that for inpatients, once the notes are out of your control that
they do get updated to reflect the current medical situation. This
wasn't the only problem that resulted from discontinuity from hand held
notes.

Cheers
Anne