From: john on
Autism Increase Environmental Not Genetic - Says New Director of USA's $30.5
Billion Health Research Budget - October 24, 2009 by childhealthsafety

http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/autismenvironmental/

A controversy raging for two decades over the causes of the worldwide
pandemic of autism in children was resolved unequivocally in formal evidence
by Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D. in 2006. Today Collins controls the US'
annual medical research budget of US$30.5 billion: [NIH Budget] making
Collins' 2006 evidence of substantial international significance for many
millions of parents and their children and for funding of research into the
causes of autism.

Collins as a leading medical doctor and geneticist who led the Human Genome
Project confirmed in public to the US House of Representatives in May 2006
that recent increases in chronic diseases like diabetes, childhood asthma,
obesity or autism must have an environmental [external] cause and cannot be
solely genetically [internally] caused conditions.

The NIH makes almost 50,000 competitive grants to more than 325,000
researchers at over 3,000 universities, medical schools, and other research
institutions in every state and around the world. About 10% of the NIH's
budget supports projects conducted by nearly 6,000 scientists in its own
laboratories, most of which are on the NIH campus in Bethesda, Maryland.

The drug industry, medical experts, World Health Organisation and government
health officials worldwide have systematically represented autism spectrum
conditions as solely genetically caused whilst denying any role of childhood
vaccines or other factors like environmental toxins in causing ASCs.
Independent scientists, medical experts and parents contradict this and say
there is good evidence autism is caused by vaccines and environmental toxins
like mercury.

Collins was appointed and sworn in as the 16th Director the US National
Institutes of Health on 17th August 2009 after nomination by President
Obama: NIH News Release 17th August 2009.

When Director of the US National Human Genome Research Institute Collins
stated:-

Recent increases in chronic diseases like diabetes, childhood asthma,
obesity or autism cannot be due to major shifts in the human gene pool as
those changes take much more time to occur. They must be due to changes in
the environment, including diet and physical activity, which may produce
disease in genetically predisposed persons. Therefore, GEI will also invest
in innovative new technologies/sensors to measure environmental toxins,
dietary intake and physical activity, and using new tools of genomics,
proteomics, and understanding metabolism rates to determine an individual's
biological response to those influences."

Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.,
Evidence to US House of Representatives Committee May 2006

But will Collins' appointment make any difference to the present research
position? Will the influence of the pharmaceutical industry and financial
conflicts of some in the medical professions prevent much needed research
being carried out? The position does not look too good as reported by award
winning journalist David Kirby: [NIH Agency Head Backs Vaccine-Autism
Research on Friday; Resigns from Federal Autism Panel on Saturday Huffington
Post 20th October 2009].

Story Landis, PhD, director of the National Institute of
Neurodevelopmental Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), an NIH agency, surprised
many parents on Friday by stating that autism researchers should study "the
children who have been most profoundly affected" by adverse reactions to
vaccination.

On Saturday, Dr. Landis abruptly resigned from the powerful Interagency
Autism Coordinating Committee (IACC), which helps direct hundreds of
millions in federal tax dollars to autism research, treatment, care and
services.

Kirby followed up with: NIH Director Francis Collins Blames Resignation Of
Top Health Official From Autism Panel On "Tension And Lack Of Trust"

The controversy over the environmental causes of autism has it foundations
in the now clearly flawed work of English psychiatrist Professor Sir Michael
Rutter. Our article of 25th January this year Autism Not Genetic - Says
Expert Professor Simon Baron Cohen] demonstrated the unscientific and flawed
logic of Rutter's original paper which has misled the world for so long:
["Infantile autism: A genetic study of 21 twin pairs." J. Child Psychol.
Psychiat. 18, 297-321 (1977)].

We stated:-

We .. can consign over 30 years of unscientific medical, psychiatric and
psychological papers to the garbage. This brings a scientific approach to
the issue since the erroneous genetic myth was first propounded with the
publication of Professor Michael Rutter's paper"

We also quoted British autism expert Professor Simon Baron Cohen of
Cambridge University who also contradicted the position that autism is a
genetic condition:-

"We know that autism is not 100% genetic in origin, since in the case of
identical twins (who share 100% of their genes), there are instances of one
twin having autism and the other not having it. In fact, the likelihood of
the co-twin also having autism where one of them has it (in monozygotic (MZ)
pairs) is about 60%. This means that there must be some non-genetic (i.e.,
environmental) factors that are part of the cause of autism." [SOURCE:
Professor Baron Cohen's reply to critics of a mooted abortion test for
autism reported in the UK's Guardian Newspaper :- Professor Baron
Cohen/Stone Correspondence Re: The Guardian New research brings autism
screening closer to reality 12/Jan/09]

We showed that Baron Cohen was only partly correct and concluded by saying
that the previous position on autism being a solely genetic condition is non
science because:

a.. identical twin studies show autism has an environmental [external]
cause
b.. to demonstrate autism has an [internal] ie. solely genetic cause, it
is necessary to show autism occurs where no environmental causes apply
c.. that has never been done
d.. and that is likely because, as the evidence shows, autism is caused by
environmental factors, just like most other human medical conditions
And we explained:-

In other words, it is the 40% of identical twins where only one develops
symptoms of autism which tells us autism is not "genetic". In those cases
it must have an environmental [external] cause.

Professor Baron Cohen errs in assuming the 60% of both twins developing
autism is evidence autism is ever a genetically "caused" condition. It is
not such evidence. The correct medical terminology is whether a condition
has an "internal" cause or an "external" one.

Because the twins are genetically identical all we can say for those who
both develop autism is their bodies have responded identically to the same
set of conditions whether "internal" or "external". It tells us nothing
about whether the cause is internal or external [environmental]. It is
neither scientific nor logical to assume the "cause" is internal or external
[environmental]. It is wrong to do so and a logical fallacy.

Where both identical twins develop autism, it is more likely than not
they have had the same exposure to the same environmental cause. That is
more likely than not to happen [60% of the time it seems]. For example,
both twins are more likely than not to have their vaccinations at the same
time and all other circumstances in their lives at that time are more likely
than not to be identical for both.

All human medical conditions whether "internal" or "external" are
genetic. Some of us are more susceptible to' flu than others and some never
suffer from it. So it is also logically inappropriate to discuss causes of
conditions in terms of being "genetic" because all human conditions are
genetic whether the cause is "internal" or "external". This also
demonstrates why it is not wise to rely on medical doctors' attempts to be
scientific. The majority have no formal scientific training or
qualifications and frequently make errors of the fundamental kind
illustrated here.


We only become ill or develop any condition because we are genetic.
Everthing else breaks down. Computers, cars, washing machines and
refrigerators breakdown whether for an "internal" cause or an "external"
one - they do not and cannot get 'flu, measles or autism because they are
not genetic. If we were not genetic we would not get sick [but we might
rust a bit from time-to-time].

There appears to be no scientific evidence autism is any more "genetic"
than 'flu. Feel free to submit a comment if you disagree.

To establish with scientific evidence that any condition has a solely
genetic [internal] cause any more than any other illness or disorder
requires evidence showing that in some cases there are no possible
environmental causes.

The environmental causes have to be eliminated by the collection of
evidence in a scientific manner. This has not been done, as the reliance on
the twin studies demonstrates.

What we can conclude is that autism is an environmentally [externally]
caused condition, with some more susceptible than others, like most other
human medical conditions.


From: john on

"dr_jeff" <utz(a)msu.edu> wrote in message
news:gJedncuiOqs02H7XnZ2dnUVZ_hhi4p2d(a)giganews.com...
> Unless the gene pool is rapidly changing, it can't be genetic.
>
>
> Of course, that environment includes a changing and more inclusive
> definiton of autism. So, much of the increase is better diagnosis.]]
>
> Jeff
>
>

more bollocks http://www.whale.to/a/autism_diagnosis.html


From: john on

"dr_jeff" <utz(a)msu.edu> wrote in message news:ob-
>> more bollocks http://www.whale.to/a/autism_diagnosis.html
>
> I am afraid were are going to have to disagree on this. I side with the
> experts in the field, like those who work in child health and undestand
> statistics.
>
> jeff

More liars http://www.whale.to/a/experts.html


From: pautrey on
> I am afraid were are going to have to disagree on this. I side with the
> experts in the field, like those who work in child health and undestand
> statistics.

Killer,

Too bad you're not swift enough to know
who the knowledgeable experts are.



On Oct 24, 1:38 pm, dr_jeff <u...(a)msu.edu> wrote:
> john wrote:
> > "dr_jeff" <u...(a)msu.edu> wrote in message
> >news:gJedncuiOqs02H7XnZ2dnUVZ_hhi4p2d(a)giganews.com...
> >> Unless the gene pool is rapidly changing, it can't be genetic.
>
> >> Of course, that environment includes a changing and more inclusive
> >> definiton of autism. So, much of the increase is better diagnosis.]]
>
> >> Jeff
>
> > more bollockshttp://www.whale.to/a/autism_diagnosis.html
>
> I am afraid were are going to have to disagree on this. I side with the
> experts in the field, like those who work in child health and undestand
> statistics.
>
> jeff

From: trigonometry1972 on
On Oct 24, 11:21 am, dr_jeff <u...(a)msu.edu> wrote:
> Unless the gene pool is rapidly changing, it can't be genetic.
>
> Of course, that environment includes a changing and more inclusive
> definiton of autism. So, much of the increase is better diagnosis.]]
>
> Jeff


Some of us suspect another factor in the rise of type 1 diabetes.
Perhaps it related childhood asthma, other autoimmune
diseases and just maybe autism. And the effect would
go further back in human history than vaccination.
So perhaps both of you are wrong or both are only
partly correct.

Animal models PMID: 17276604
PMID: 15763180
PMID: 15225838


A theory PMID: 17920208
PMID: 18377099


Interesting a major share of the fault comes from bad public
health suggestions and guidelines. Possibly aggravated
by a host of modern synthetic endocrine disruptors.
The wide spread vitamin D deficiency is result from
modern indoor living and the resistance
of dieticians, nurses, and conventional medical doctors
to the use of meaningful vitamin D3 supplementation
doses and 400 IU isn't of much value other than
preventing gross rickets in children.
Anyway there are other benefit with increasing
serum levels to summer time values such as found in people who
live out of doors in clean clear air.

Are you checking your patients 25 OH vitamin D serum
levels? And hopefully you have a reasonable target value
for your patient aren't blindly following the reference range.
And hopefully you test them during the seasonal nadir
March and not just in late August or September when
values are highest.

You no doubt will be dismissive
so I tried to get there first....................Trig